Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What Would Stephanie Do?

Stephanie Nielson. I've been kind of enchanted by her story. Some would say that it is a sad tragedy. And they are right. But I think there is still magic there.

So what happened? Stephanie, AKA Nie-Nie, wrote a blog. An inspirational, beautiful, and sentimental blog. And there was lots of fun, and lots of love. And then she and her husband were involved in a horrible plane crash. And they both sustained almost unsermountable wounds. But they survived. And they will never be the same. But they have each other and their 4 children. And they have their magic.

You can go to her blog here. Her family is re-posting her many readers favorite entries. Don't go unless you have some time to kill. It will suck you in.

And Nie-Nie's sister lovingly kept everyone abreast of the recovery on her blog. You can get there here.

It hit me yesterday. I'm in love with Stephanie Nielson. When her kindergartener came home with a "red ticket" showing bad behavior, Stephanie laughed and kept her home the next day to make pancakes and play outside because no 6 year old should have stress that would make her act out in class. When her 2 year old broke her latte bowl, she laughed, because she knew there would be more to buy. Stephanie crafted amazing glittery, crowns for her children to wear to dinner one night. And she cooked dreamy meals. Stephanie liked to look her very best for her husband. Even after 4 kids.

That's right. I'm in love with Stephanie Nielson because she is who I thought I would be. I thought I would be the fun-loving, patient, creative wife and mother. I thought I would be doing endless crafts with my children, and cooking lovely meals, and smiling a lot. I thought I would be full of adventure and wonder. I thought my home would just be joy after joy after joy.

I'm not who I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, we do our fair share of silliness. And we love each other. But I imagined myself as a mother being, well, more perfectly fun.

So it has kept me wondering, when Stephanie faced the same challenges I have, like I know she did (piles of laundry crying at you, dishes mocking you, grouchy children and tired husbands) what did she do? How did she keep the spirit in her home so touching and real?

I have so much admiration for this family. Her injuries have most likely left her unable to care for herself, her children and her Mr. Nielson. But they are a family of great strength and faith. And they will survive, and flourish, and keep the magic.

But me. I am able bodied. My sight, my fingers, my sensation are all intact. What will I do to keep the magic? How can I make my home brimming with giggles and dancing? How can I be Stephanie Nielson?

In the mean time, I'll enjoy my pictures.................



6 comments:

Heather said...

WWSD is my new mantra. Real Life.

Laura said...

I truly have been changed by Stephanie and her story. Her magic. I am both inspired and heart broken reading it all. It has reminded me every day to live and love my life and focus on that. What a important reminder.

Shannon said...

What a beautiful post. Sometimes it seems that a trajedy was meant to teach the rest of us. It breaks my heart that she and her family have to endure this to show us how to be a better family. I am grateful for their sacrifice and beautiful lessons all the same though. I

think we are on the right track by just taking notice and contemplating the subject. I believe that if it is our heart's desire, we will get to where we want to be....someday.

Precious photos...as always.

Katie B. said...

You were right...went to the link and spent ohh about 2 HOURS reading NieNie and C Jane's blog! I'm dying to see pictures of Stephanie and actually "see" how she's doing.
On another note...that boy is getting sooo big already...stop it!

H Digby said...

One of the many reasons I love you!
You are my Stefanie. Sometimes I call you just to hear your joy and patience. You give the best advice have amazing insight. I miss you! You are wonderful to your children. I see it all the time.
Also I wonder HOW did you get them to cross their eyes on command? How did you even get them to cross their eyes at all??

Suz... said...

Hi Heather...I came across your blog from Tiff's blog roll. Thanx for introducing me to Stephanie and all that encompasses her! Wow! Thank you.