Tuesday, April 10, 2007

And to Always Remember........................

I guess I will never understand why we have to keep learning the same lessons over and over. We have to keep on "getting it". We have to re-learn. We have to remember. Yesterday I was trying to give a little comfort and care to my dear sister in law who is suffering some quiet sorrows right now. I thought because I have suffered these same sorrows, maybe I could be soothing, uplifting and inspiring. But what in fact happened is she told me something that I can't get out of my brain today:

"What you pay attention to grows."

That's right. I've heard it before. But I forgot. What I focus my mind on just gets bigger. Of course this is the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. So today? I let the good and beautiful grow. It helped me to really focus on retaining the thoughts that brought me peace and joy. I spent the day choosing my own happiness. A small example: instead of lamenting the big, amazing houses my friends have all progressed into, I kept thinking about what a blessing it has been enjoy the character of our home. To be able to afford this house with a husband in school. To bring babies home here. To walk to the park. To create and build things in my very own room. And you know what? I think I'm falling in love with our space all over again.

What I paid attention to grew today. I'm looking forward to some more growing. Tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally get this. count your blessings.

Laura said...

Good thoughts! It's really hard to not get caught up in thinking about the wrong things too!

Mitchell said...

Heather,

Your blog is always so thoughtful and inspiring. Makes mine look like a bad tabloid! Thanks... ;-)

Sarah said...

Heather...you are so insightful. Thanks for reminding me to count my many blessing. It is the simple things in life that mean the most.