Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Up and running..................




So, we had some technical glitches in our home this week. No computer and no phone. Seriously, I almost died. It was touch and go there for awhile. The only good thing was that I was completely caught up on my Tivo'd shows and I couldn't buy any scrapbooking supplies online. Um, scratch that. I still bought stuff from work. Woops!

Well, this leads me to a very important question. What did the pioneers do? And for this question I blame Little House on the Prairie.









You see, I used to watch this show religiously. And don't even go there with me about the books. Multiple times through. And I bought the DVD seasons collections. I've tried to get Lilly hooked. No dice. Maybe I'll wait til she's out of the cartoon phase. I knew every little scene with Mary, Laura, Pa, Ma, and Almonzo (aka Manly of course! I had planned to also use this nickname for my own husband. So far that hasn't worked out.) I would run home from the school bus to make sure I didn't miss a minute of the show. You have never seen anyone cry their eyes out harder then when the citizens of Walnut Grove blew up their own town. They really did. I honestly did believe that I was born in the wrong era. Sometimes I still do. I mean, I love New England salt box houses, quilting and knitting are passions of mine, I'm way more rural than urban, and I made my entire family drive 200 miles out of our way in Missouri to see Laura Ingalls Wilder actual home. We had a connection man.

I used to daydream about what it must have been like to live, just a week, like a pioneer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I did experience this this week, just because of no phone, e-mail, blogging and surfing. I'm just wondering. Maybe someday I'll really try it. Um, then again, maybe not. I don't think pioneers had Smarties.

7 comments:

Sean Gates said...

Pioneers also didn't have soft TP.

How's that for a comment. LOL!

Anyhow, I feel the same way sometimes. I want things to be a lot simpler than they are, and yet still be as connected as I can be. We are very lucky to have ... Smarties ... and the Internet. ;-)

Parzifal Odinson said...

Theres a neat series you may be able to find somewhere to sait your need for a "taste" of the pioneer life but done today.

The show was called -pioneer quest-
See if you can buy the series some where???

And as far as soft tp..... Soap and water is fare more hygenic anyhow,
But just slightly more labor intensive.

You can very easily and cheaply live in the pioneer tradition today "just with solar panels and a chemical toilet, Just takes some doins...If you follow my drift.

Cheers
Robert

Claremont First Ward said...

Heather,
I've tried to "hook" my girls on Little House on the Praire too, but no die. Grace does have the collection to read when she is more proficient, but I don't understand why she doesn't love it the way I did. When we were living in MA I had an annual pass to Sturbridge Village, a living history museum set in the 1830's. LOVED it. I think when my kids are in school I'm going to get my Master's degree is something interesting to me like Archaelogy.....so interesting to see how people live in their enviroment with the resources provided. Love Native American history as well. I think I'm content to just learn about era's past....I'm too addicted to a nice warm bathroom with thick, soft TP! Oh, yeh, and my computer.

Laura said...

I love this stuff too! I love to read about it and think about it... but I am too addicted to my computer, phone, and Tivo to really give anything up! Doesn't Tivo rock? I could not watch tv without that one.

Other series I love were
Avonlea (the series)
Wind at my back

My Lindsey at 7 is just now beginning to watch non cartoons I have wondered if she would be ready for Anne of Green Gables or other treasures. Soon I hope...

Anonymous said...

dude, i couldn't make it without the smarties!

i've thought about this a lot - our kids have SO much! that always hits me at Christmas time. (my daughter loves this show + books, too! yay!)

(they blew up their town? must check that out...)

Mitchell said...

Well you never leave comments on my blog nor do you call me on the phone everyday... but here I am on your blog :]

I watched a movie the other day set in WWII. I thought, "What did people do for fun before the inter-nets were invented??" More importantly, what did Al Gore do before he invented them??

I don't know much, but I do know this: when Albert got called the b-word, I didn't know what it meant. And then he hid. That whole scene traumatized me for life. Albert became my favorite character.

Since you're the expert, isn't there a new LHOTP series out now? Is it any good?

Anonymous said...

Recently motoring through some of the roughest sections of Oregon Trail, I thought " if those women had known, they'd have taken the 12 gauge to those 'Westward Ho " husbands"!!!!
seriously, living more simply is a choice. But having the communication with the outside world via email/computer is soul sparing on occasion. TV, you would find, can be dome without, leaving more time for reading, sewing, playing....