Thursday, February 01, 2007

Lessons learned.............

I have been consumed lately with the idea of meeting myself like 10-15 years ago. So, meeting me in college. What would my impressions of myself be? Would I like myself? Would I see myself the same as I do now? I keep thinking of an experiment where I meet people who were in my life so long ago, that I've lost touch with. If I met them now, would they recognize me? Would they like my now if they didn't then? Or would they think I am lame now and cooler then? Would they think I have grown up for the better?

And then if I could talk to myself what kinds of things would I tell myself? What advice would I give? Could I tell myself to stop worrying about things and have faith? Would my young self believe it? Oh man, I could go on and on.

I keep thinking of the decisions I made about my life when I didn't have the wisdom and faith that I do now. I wonder how my life might be different if I had had more insight. But then, conversely, I think of all of my experiences put together making me, well, me. And I like myself now more than ever before. I think I know myself and have confidence in my decisions and judgements. Confidence in my knowledge, faith in my abilities. Power to design a life I love.

This prompted me to think of the lessons I have learned that have given my life a greater sense of peace. Here are some lessons:

*I have learned that I can do something in an instant that will give me heartache for life.

*I have learned that I should always leave loved ones with kind words. They may be my last.

*I have learned that I can keep going, long after I think I can't.

*I have learned that I am responsible for what I do no matter how I may feel.

*I have learned that money is a lousy way to keep score.

*I have learned that just because someone doesn't love you in the way that you think they should, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

*I have learned that only I am responsible for the person I become.

*I have learned that 2 people can look at the same thing and see 2 completely different things. I have learned that this is OK.

*I have learned that you truly can choose how you feel.

*I have learned that I can disagree with people and that doesn't mean I don't love them.

*I have learned that it is OK to say no.

*I have learned that you have to recognize the opportunities to serve others, even when you think you have nothing to give.

*I have learned that people's perspectives are their realities.

*I have learned that everyone is talented at something.

*I have learned to be kinder than necessary.

And a couple more quotes I thought were awesome and made me smile, can't even really tell you where they came from, just jotted them down in my journal over the last couple of weeks.

"Always remember that you are unique- just like everybody else."

"Remember, you really have no competition because there is only ONE exactly like you."

3 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Heather,
THis is amazing. So insightful and just plain wise. I loved reading through this and wish that I took more time to think about the things I've learned throughout my life.

As a funny side note: I met a friend recently (this was in my Christmas letter than I never sent you!) who I hadn't seen in over 10 years. We grew up together, and then very much apart. The first thing she said was, "I wasn't sure I'd recognize you since you've had so many kids".

I also love who I am now, and honestly didn't like who I was 10 years ago, so it's a good thing I don't see those people anymore. WHEW!

Laura said...

Heather,
I am so inspired by this post. I am going to copy and paste it to myself to refer to. There is a lot of wisdom in many of them, and I needed to remind myself of these things. I too, have truly learned a lot over the years. YOu have such a great gift for writing the "stories" that inspire, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Thank You so much for sharing your thoughts. I have often wondered the same things about myself. You are amazing and I love reading your blog!! Thank You!!

Sarah