Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Heart Textiles.................






Ok, touching on my big fat downer post yesterday, I’ve been thinking a lot about enduring to the end and achieving balance. I feel like right now I’m in the longest endurance race of my life. This husband in school thing is really getting the best of me. I keep thinking to myself “How am I (we) going to get through this?” I guess it just boils down to tackling one day, and then getting up in the morning to tackle the next 24 hours. That’s it. That’s the key, you just do it. The balancing comes from making choices. Making choices all day long and then doing it again the next day. Making choices to be grateful in that very moment. Remember that I have a plan set out for me, that I will not be given any trials that are unbeatable. Today, I was grateful for the moment I had to do the dishes without interruption. I was able to think for a few minutes about my amazing friends, their listening ears, support and cheerleading for me. It was just a moment, but it was a happy, thoughtful one. Later, when my over-tired, over-stressed, nursing school husband arrives home most likely grouchy and overwhelmed, I will probably not be grateful for much in that moment. But then I will be able to lay down tonight, reflect on a multitude of never ending and incalculable blessings, bestowed upon my family and I, my grateful moment will come back. When I get up tomorrow morning, I will take a deep breath and I will tackle my moments, both good and bad, again.
On to bigger and better things. It is no surprise that I love paper. But I really love fabric to. And don't even try to keep me out of a yarn store, oh no. Before kidlets I would make the rounds to all stores crafty. I was up on everything! I miss all my shopping and working. I currently have 4 or 5 quilt tops done that need to be quilted. Sometimes I'm so glad that I have some quilts done that far; sometimes it makes me frustrated that I don't have enough time/money/inclincation to finish them. So today in an effort to feel grateful, I'm documenting some of my favorites.
The finished quilt above is the one I made for Lilly when she was born. To date one of my most cherished projects. The next unfinished quilt is Haddie's baby quilt. It just needs to be taken to the quilters. Totally love those vintage 1930's prints. The pile of pink and brown fabrics is what I used for another quilt for Haddie. Those were the before pictures. Now it's almost 80% pieced. (Note to self: take a picture of it!) And the fun colored fabric is for Lilly's next quilt. It will be the same pattern as Haddie's pink/brown one. I love those fun colors, don't they just make you smile?
OK, thanks for indulging me. Just being able to look at, remember, touch, feel, fold up my fabric has made me happy. Someday I'll pull out some of my knitted wares. Someday when I need another boost!

2 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Heather,
So cute.....love Lilly's quilt. The flowers look like a Mary Englebright design? My cousin is an awesome quilter, and my best friend in MA was as well. I think I'm just destined to be a
"looker". I don't have the patience for it....OK, OK, I just can't sew straight and I suck, but I do love admiring others work.

So, I told you that we did a huge switcheroo on the kids bedrooms. Eliminated the nursery and put all three boys in the girls former room and gave the girls their own rooms.....which means......I don't have an empty guest room (Grace got the furniture)....clean slate for crafty things......when you drop Lilly off on Friday you can look at the empty room and imagine with me the havoc I can reak in there. :)

Claremont First Ward said...

oops...I meant to say I have an empty guest room.