Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The One Where They Slay Dragons..................

Lots and lots of years ago, I decided I was going to be a labor and delivery nurse. In fact, it was the day my youngest brother was born. I never looked back. I knew all through high school. I knew all through college. Never wavered from my nursing major, by golly. After I graduated I went straight to obstetrics.

And I never looked back.

It's been lots and lots of years.

I used to think I was blessed to be directed about nursing because I would have to be the breadwinner for my family for almost a decade.

But I was wrong.

I was directed to be a nurse so that I could deliver babies, in my town, in my hospital, in my unit, because that's where my heroes also work. If I didn't have a baby brother, a nursing goal, a first job in Utah, I would have never known these ladies.

"Are your BFF's at our house again?"

"Yep, my BFF's are here today."

"What are they doing?

"They are rescuing your mom."

You see, some people have living rooms. I have an "I might be able to start living again room." Because for whatever reason, there are brave, brave girls who want to tackle my couches, my 3x5 cards, my movies. And all the while they say they are happy to do it.

For me.

Tonight I get to sit at my computer. And I get to breathe a little bit. And I get to reflect on why I'm so lucky. And I get to run for the Kleenex because of the tearlets. The little tearlets of joy.

(Now the tearlets are big.)

I think my Father in Heaven knew exactly what I needed all along.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay..You needed to start off by saying before read get kleenex! I dropped some big tears ...I LOVE YOU!!! I can't wait until we tackle the girls' bedroom and then YOUR room (yes, I said it :))) I am so grateful for our friendship and even happier that we could help.

Love you with my whole heart...Amy

Katie B. said...

WOW... didn't see that segway coming! Very tricky... what are you trying to do... make me cry all over my brand new computer?? Sheesh... :) You know I (we) would slay dragons for you .... no matter WHAT that dragon is..... I have waited my entire life to have a BFF like you.... one that I can trust with my secrets, depend on, not worry about being criticized by no matter how stupid or silly i'm being and most importantly someone to laugh with! You're it girl. And I love you.

Unknown said...

Heff,
Love ya lots. You deserve friendssuch as these angels and they are lucky to have you in their lives as I am blessed to be your mom.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Casey's trio said...

This post made my heart smile....thank God for friends:)

Shannon said...

Good heavens girl. I am welling up too! You are truly blessed, for having strong, caring, trustworthy, beautiful women in your life is perhaps one of the greatest blessings of all. Funny thing is that this post and the comments to it really speak volumes about YOU. Amazing!