I am raising my family in the town I grew up in. It has it's positives and negatives. I know lots and lots of people here. And, furthermore, lots and lots of people know me. This little town changes and grows. Buildings and structures go up. Old memories get torn down. I often times now find myself most nostalgic for those places that remain unchanged. The places that I frequent now, that I frequented then, and that my children are experiencing in exactly the same way that I did.
Now stop, I'm not talking about 7-11.
Yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about our little church building. I don't remember a time went I didn't attend church there. I was baptized there. My brothers had their mission farewells and homecomings there. My friends have had their wedding receptions there. My three children were blessed there. And for many, many years, each and every week, I have pulled into the same parking lot, made the same rounds to find a spot, opened the same doors to the same chapel and sat in the same pews.


And now I am so privileged to watch my girls and my boy develop a love, a testimony and a faith inside the same walls that I did. It's a simple building in terms of architecture. There is nothing that the world would deem extraordinary just by driving by. But my heart would tell you otherwise. It's simply magical.

And I suppose that someday we will get the brand new building, closer to our home. And I suppose that someday I will have the same affection for it as my little church on Overlook. But for now I will cherish these Sundays. Cherish them like crazy.
Now this? This is a view I would love to eradicate from my memory. A view of a very neglected mini-van after a weekend of errand running. Even the poor mirror reflecting my sacked out baby is cock-eyed. And please, do your best to ignore the Big Gulp. For your own good.
8 comments:
WOW!Your blog is amazing. I haven't been to the chapel I grew up in a long time but I know it holds many of these memories. I love how you documented all this.
what a beautiful nostalgic thoughts
Love the cockeyed mirror, a true picture of life.
You are not alone!!keep up...
Heather- you have been going there for 33 years. I still remember our first visit, and how excited you were (after the ten minutes of absolute panic). Back in those days there were several meetings spread throughout the week, so our family was constantly coming and going on Johnson Rd (and Later Rosemont Rd). Or, should that be going and coming - gotta get there first!
Yes, the memories are luscious, and the move will be bitter-sweet. Fewer miles to a new chapel will bring big changes in so many ways.
Cracking up at the pic you ended this post with!! I will ignore the Big Gulp:)
Love how you get to share some of your favorite memories/experiences with your own children!
Ha ha! Love the "big gulp" and the 7-11 comment...love it! I have been to that church! I have memories there too. Thanks for your sweet post!
The fad the unreasoning with two backs casinos? strike song out of pocket this na‹ve [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] instruction and waver online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also receive testifier to our untrained [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] convoy at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and recuperate imperious accident !
another lone [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] concatenation of events is www.ttittancasino.com , in the service of german gamblers, organize unrestrained online casino bonus.
Post a Comment