Monday, January 12, 2009

And Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Broadcast...............

Thank you. For your encouraging words. I mean it. I'm so lucky.

Enough said.

So Big Momma goes back to work in next Monday. That was the shortest 2 weeks of my life, that maternity leave. Just kidding. I know I should be ever so grateful that I get 18 weeks. A lot of moms survive with less.

Here's how I know I'm on a work countdown:

*I just taught my 5 year old the word "nocturnal."

*I'm trying to decide what radio station to listen to during my commute.

*I'm visualizing myself doing tasks, like IV starts. (What color tubes do I need for bloodwork?)

*I'm constantly calculating how many hours of sleep I will be short.

*The. Breast. Pump.

*I've been thinking of excuses for the weight. Which include "I'm just big boned" and "the devil made me do it."

*I'm nesting and organizing my house. Because now it won't get done for decades.

*I'm collecting projects to take, just in case it's slow. Nursing station scrapbooking? Anyone?

*I'm worrying, worrying, worrying about my coworkers who have to deal with my new level of dumbness. And about my babies. They will survive, right?

I have a lot to be grateful for. I'm getting to work less than I ever have before. I've gone back to work after maternity leave twice already. And that's worked out nicely. I have a job. That in and of itself is a blessing. AND most importantly, I work with a bunch of fabulous, stunning, and otherwise best people on the planet. Hands down.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I love this post! I think a lot that way you do. I am planner by nature.

It's the time before a change and the first days that are the hardest. Once I get a routine going, I am good. I thrive on routines.

Good luck with going back to work. Your patients will be lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Heather don't worry, 3 purples and a green tube. It's just like riding a bike. We cannot wait for you to come home, are you kidding? Enjoy the last days off and don't give it another thought! Love and kisses to those beautiful kidlets of yours!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, I am not sure Kim is right - is it 3 purples and a green or is 3 greens and a purple??? Just kidding! We can not wait to see you!!!

Katie B. said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it no no no nooooo..I'm about to lose control and I think YOU'LL LIKE IT!!! ;)
PS...guess what we learned tonight at work...that the name "The Clap" came from the civil war time when the Gonorrhea pustules would POP and they made a "clapping" noise!!! See what you have to look forward to????!!!?? Just thought you wanted to know...

Philigry said...

I love how positive you are. Good luck on your first day!
when you get a chace, send me your mailing address at smithbrothersbowdoinham@yahoo.com
I have your gift waiting to go out!
katie

Casey's trio said...

Ahhh...I hope your transition back is smooth. The forgetfulness only takes a few days to shake right? I bet your co-workers have missed you!