
My Uncle Rod turned 60 yesterday. Because of my work schedule (and the long drive to Baker City), we couldn't attend the party, so I wanted to make sure we were thinking about him.

A few of my favorite Rod memories...............
*Boat races all summer long. I was so proud of the Wild Turkey, and the tribute to Kelly
*Reading the Lions of Medina and finally understanding, if in just a small way
*Holding Lilly for the first time
*Suprising us with 3 of his grandkids at Christmas
*Being the family video documenter.
*Having the hugest RV I've ever seen.

He took me to a couple of Blazer games and used to love that! I'll never forget how totally cool I thought he was because he actually owned the Michael Jackson Thriller album and we got to listen to it on the way to the game! Positively awesome. And then there was the time I got a perm-gone-bad, and he came over and promptly said "Looks like you stuck for finger in a light socket." And I cried and cried and cried. But also, one year at the Gzowski's for Christmas, Rod and I were sitting on the couch watching football when Matt walked by. He was probably 7 or 8. I mentioned to him that he had something on his bottom (he had sat on a sticker or something). So Matt promptly came right up to me, dropped his drawers, completely mooning us, going "Where? I don't see anything?" Holy cow, we laughed so hard for hours. Actually, I can name a hundred times of utter, abdominal cramping laughing.

Rod served in Vietnam. It changed him. And I think it continues to change all of us. We are so proud of him, all the while knowing and recognizing the burden he carries in his heart and soul.
Random Rod Facts:
*He loves the Packers (Rad year so far!)
*He raced hydroplane boats for like a hundred years.
*He has kept close with so many high school friends
*He can be a bit gassy.
*He is generous and kind, but he doesn't want you to know.
*Loves to laugh.
*He married his perfect match.
*He is stronger than his disease.
*He is loyal and brave.
*He loves his family.
*And his family loves him back.

4 comments:
this is absolutely beautiful...........the album, but most importantly, the tribute.
Thanks for the pictures! I feel bad I wasn't able to get there, but this makes me happy. You are incredibly talented! It makes me teary thinking about Rod and how much he loves each of us. What better uncle could we have had!
Love ya!
Sean
Wow, this is an incredible keepsake for him and his family! You are talented!
So true, Heather. Thank you ffor sharing your gift with all and your memories with Rod. I do know I could never have had a better brither. He included me in things with his friends, drove me to school, tried to date my friends, stuck up for me when I was threatened by a boy and helped me through some terribly sad times by just being there 24/7. Love him lots.
Post a Comment