Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mothering...........................

There is no way I'm going to touch the eloquence and tenderness from my friends Angie's post on this subject. I think it is brilliant to see mothers as leaders. I see mothering as a constant balance, between fun and discipline, between fruits/vegetable and chocolate cupcakes; between friend and advocate, between clean and dirty; between bedtime and staying up late. I think there is a nurturing and a kindness factor that can't be overlooked. It's a true softening when there is someone completely dependent on you. But the real miracle is not what you do for your children, it is what they do for you.

Since it's been on my brain a lot since the concert, I have to share a line from one of Martina's songs "In My Daughter's Eyes" It says "in my daughters eyes I am a hero, I am strong and wise and I know no fear. But the truth is plain to see, she was sent to rescue me. I see who I want to be in my daughter's eyes."

Isn't that what this whole journey entails? Learning to love someone so much, that they rescue you from the self-centered ways of the world. The help you to forget the latest fashions, haircuts, colors, manicures, pedicures, celebrities. You see the kind, compassionate, alert, concerned responsible person, mother you always envisionioned, and then you strive for it. You get a unique opportunity to care for someone else more than yourself. Someone else's health and happiness is paramount to you own. You get to turn into a superhero for a little one, your little one. You get to be a part of every bit of their growing up. This bitter and the sweet. That's the complete, magical, paradise of motherhood. And when you realize that it is not about how great you are, but how great you are as a team and a family, thats the real treasure. An eternal treasure.

3 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Heather,
You are the best and have such a wonderful way with words. The best part is that they aren't just empty words.....they are words with meaning. And emotion. Like you, I feel so blessed to have my little children, because I've never learned so much in life from one single being.

Shana said...

Ditto to Angie's comment!

Shana said...

Do you mind if I print this post and give it to a friend? She is 20 and going to be having her first child and I would love to let her read this. I of course will let her know that it came from you.